The fate of HMT Shera: “Closed Until 1972”

Strolling ... Stewart Cruden and his mother with an unknown (to me) couple

Strolling … Stewart Cameron Cruden with his mother and an unknown couple.

Growing up, I often heard my mother talk about her great uncle “Sanky” who had died “in the war.” The bare bones of the story were that he drowned while serving on the Arctic Convoys, but like most family stories, it sat at the back of my mind, unexamined and half-forgotten.

When I first began researching my family history, mum sent me the photo above of her Uncle Sanky – whose real name was Stewart Cameron Cruden.  My mum doesn’t know when or where the photo was taken, or who the other people were, but that image of a confident young man walking nonchalantly towards the photographer somehow made him real to me and it became important to understand more about his life and death.

Life …

Constructing the skeleton of Stewart Cruden’s life was relatively easy. Scotland’s People searches told me he was born on November 8th 1903 at East End, Coaltown of Wemyss, Fife, Scotland. He was the youngest child, and second son of Isabella Simpson Wallace and another Stewart Cameron Cruden. By the 1911 census, the family was living at 1 Locheil Crescent, West Wemyss, where Stewart attended the local school.

I know nothing about Stewart’s schooling or early employment – although since his father and elder brother Alexander (my great grandfather) were both coal miners, I think it’s safe to assume that Stewart also went to work as a miner.

In 1924, Stewart and Isabella immigrated to the United States, following two of their daughters – Elizabeth and Isabella – who had already moved there. In 1925, twenty one year old Stewart joined them.

According to the 1930 census, the family lived at 34/1 West Third Street, Bayonne City, Hudson, New Jersey. Both Stewarts were factory workers, and the family also had two lodgers.

I can find no passenger records for Stewart’s return to Scotland, but I know he did, because during World War II he enlisted in the Royal Naval Patrol Service (RNPS). This appears on the record of his death.

… and death

Stewart Cameron Cruden died on 9th March 1942 when his ship, HMT Shera capsized and sank in the Barents Sea.

Sailors aboard one of more than 1400 ships comprising the 78 Arctic Convoys between 1941-1945. Photo credit:

I haven’t yet been able to find his service record, but Google searches told me a little bit about the ship and the circumstances of her sinking. The most widely reported account is that the boat capsized because of excessive ice and heavy seas. However, I have subsequently found – from the official enquiry into the sinking held by the British Admiralty – that this was not quite true.

The National Archives at Kew contains the report of the official inquiry. It has not been digitised, but I was fortunate enough to be able to go to there a few weeks ago and read the original documents.

What I now know

HMT Shera was a Norwegian trawler, probably used for whaling. It was requisitioned by the British Navy and brought into commission as a minesweeper on the Arctic Convoys on 12 January 1942. These convoys, which operated from August 1941 to May 1945, were made up of merchant ships and escorts from the Royal Navy, US Navy and Royal Canadian Navy . A total of seventy eight convoys transported vital supplies to the USSR during a time when the Nazis controlled much of the territory around that vast country. The Shera was en-route to Murmansk to be loaned to the Soviet government when it sank.

Prior to the departure of the convoy, stability testing had been carried out to determine whether the whalers would be at risk of capsizing in the icy waters of the Arctic. Without understanding the engineering, it seems that the additional fuel loads required to make the long voyage to Murmansk meant that the boats – and in particular the Shera – were susceptible to capsize in heavy seas. As the extra fuel was burned, the load balance was shifted, increasingly instability.

The official inquiry focused almost exclusively on the possible causes of the Shera’s capsize, and barely mentions the crew. I wasn’t even able to find out exactly how many men were aboard. The RNPS Memorial at Lowestoft lists 17 names, while another RNPS source says 20 men lost their lives. An article published in the RNPS newsletter for Spring 2013 recounts a survivor’s experiences of the Shera; he estimated the boat had a crew of around 30.

Whatever the actual number of men aboard; it is clear that only three survived the sinking. In total, five men were pulled from the water into a small boat lowered by another trawler, the HMT Svega, but two died soon afterwards. The survivors were:

– Lieutenant Nils Olaves Hansen (Norwegian)

– Ship’s Steward Douglas Robert Phillips (British)

– Ordinary Seaman Charles Alfred Harris (British)

Causes of the disaster

The official inquiry included testimony from all three men; each of whom was asked about the stability of the boat. All three expressed concern about the boat’s sea-worthiness under the circumstances. Lieutenant Hansen had worked on trawlers like the Shera for 10 years and testified that he had talked to the Captain about the boat being top-heavy. Seaman Harris was also an experienced fisherman and in his testimony he said “there had been much talk in the mess about her (Shera) being top-heavy.” The final survivor, Douglas Phillips said:

There had been a big roll to port the morning of the 8th. The crew complained of her heavy roll. One stoker complained that ‘she wasn’t a sea-going ship’. She had a list to port at Milford Haven and carried it ever since. … All the crew said she was top-heavy. I was on-board at Greenock when the gun platform was fitted. The crew continually complained of her being top-heavy.

The three survivors also testified that the day before the sinking, crew had chipped off large amounts of ice and that at the time of the sinking, the seas were not exceptionally heavy.

The official inquiry noted that:

There is evidence that considerable doubt existed in the minds of officers and ratings of both HMT Shera and Svega of the stability of these vessels as fitted for passage from the United Kingdom to North Russia, and that there was free discussion onboard HMT Shera on the result of the stability test carried out at Greenock during 1942 …

And … “hearsay evidence … indicates that there is reason to believe that the stability test on HMS Shera was unsatisfactory.”

The report concluded

After a full and careful enquiry, with all the witnesses available, into the circumstances attending the loss of HM Trawler Shera … the opinion of the Board is that the loss is attributable to the instability of the vessel, aggravated by a heavy formation of ice … which resulted in the vessel becoming unstable and capsizing.

Sixteen days after the sinking of HMT Shera, an almost identical boat, HMT Sulla disappeared in the Barents Sea whilst part of the same convoy. No trace of the ship was ever found, so it is impossible to know for sure if it sank for the same reasons as the Shera, but an official inquiry concluded that it was likely the Sulla capsized due to excessive ice and high seas with the loss of all onboard.

Both inquiries concluded that no-one could be held accountable for either sinking, and in a final note said:

‘In view of the urgency of the service requirements, the sailing of these ships had to be accepted as justifiable in wartime.

As was normal for war casualties; news of Stewart Cruden’s death reached his family in the form of a telegram. My mother remembers this event; she said her parents were in the cinema and the film was interrupted so that they could be called out and sent home to comfort Stewart’s mother, Isabella; my great, great grandmother.

Hankerchief embroidered with Royal Navy crest. A gift to my mother from her uncle Stewart Cruden.

Hankerchief embroidered with Royal Navy crest. A gift to my mother from her uncle Stewart Cruden.

Isabella Wallace died in June 1944, her husband having pre-deceased her by about 10 years. Stewart’s big brother Alexander, my great-grandfather died in 1970 and I’m unsure what happened to their sisters. The reason I mention this is that the report into the sinking of the Shera was classified until 1972; too late for most of Stewart Cruden’s family to know that their son and brother’s death wasn’t due to freak weather conditions, but was – at least in part – a consequence of human actions that could have been prevented. Indeed, my mother is one of the few people left who remembers this much-loved uncle and still mourns his loss.

I understand that wars – and in fact all major human endeavors –  involve decision-making that risks some lives to save others. It’s just harder to take when the lives lost are those of people we know, or are part of our whanau.

63 thoughts on “The fate of HMT Shera: “Closed Until 1972”

  1. Fascinating story and thank you for sharing. How lucky to have been able to read the reports.
    I have visions of the ships from the show Deadliest Catch. They all seem so top heavy at times with all their lobster pots. They also get covered with ice.

  2. This is a good one Su, I don’t think anyone in this Family History family of ours has ever had a member of the Arctic convoys! Just look at how frigid the weather is in the picture and nowadays it’s melting.

    • Thanks so much. The Arctic Convoys seem to be (another) largely forgotten chapter. It’s only in the last year the few surviving servicemen have received medals from the British government – and Cameron had to be shamed into it! The Scottish National War Museum has an exhibition on at the moment about the convoys – and you’re right; these days the Arctic is melting.

      As always, thanks for stopping by and commenting. I so appreciate my family history whanau.

    • Thanks Judy. I’ve really enjoyed the research. It makes me realise that I want to work with/in archives more. I had a similar experience at the Fife Archives in Markinch; I just love actually touching objects that connect me to my ancestors. In the Fife Archive, I was reading Minute Books that were actually written in by a great grand uncle, who was the Clerk of the Dysart School Board in the 1890s. Ah, small pleasures!

    • Thank you Catherine. I’m glad to have finally got the story pieced together – at least as much as I’ll ever be able to.

    • Thanks Tish. It is the only photo of him I’ve ever seen, and he looks so much like other men in my family, I just had to know what happened to him.

  3. Well researched and fascinating read! I first came across these Arctic Convoy servicemen several years ago at the annual Remembrance Day parade in Whitehall in London. I had to ask who were the men parading in white berets. You may also be aware that service records for WW2 personnel are not available to the general public, but are available to family. See Apologies if you were already aware of this. Thanks for a great and heartfelt piece!

    • Thank you. My mum says that her uncle bought hankerchiefs for all “the Ramsay girls” (his great nieces). Her’s is the only one that remains.

  4. Pingback: Tombstone Tuesday: war dead remembered | Shaking the tree

  5. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful and poignant story. The hanky brought tears to my eyes, it’s such a lovely thing to have and pass down through generations, something tangible to the connection alive.

    • Thank you for your kind comments Gill; and for stopping by my blog. I recently learned that one of the three survivors of the Shera may still be alive, and I am trying to make contact with him. For me, that would be a final act of closure.

        • Brilliant! I’ve tried to find out if I could get in touch with him via the Secretary’s email address, but without luck. I’m in New Zealand and it’s a bit difficult to make contact. Thanks for this. Cheers, Su.

  6. Strangely, my grandpa was also called Stewart Cruden and also sailed on the Arctic convoys and was also in a naval disaster in 1942.

    • Hi Ed. Wow! That is strange. I assume your Stewart survived? I know that Stewart Cruden is a relatively common name combination. My family – being Scottish – adhered to quite a strict naming policy whereby eldest sons were named after paternal grandfathers, so I have a kind of leap-frogging family tree with Alexander and Stewart Cruden’s alternating for as many generations as I’ve been able to trace. It would be fascinating to find out if your Stewart was related in some way to mine. Do you know much about him and his background? Cheers, Su.

  7. Hi Su. He was from Edinburgh and was an archaeologist. He lived until 2002, bless him. One of my heroes. He was sunk in the Battle of the Java Sea and was held prisoner by the Japanese ’til 1945. No-one in my family knows much about his family, oddly. I think he had a brother who I never met. We’re all Edinburgh folk but a mate of mine did some family-tree stuff for me and reckoned it’s taken my family about 200 years to crawl down the coast from Dunfermline to Edinburgh! Ha! Proper picts.

    • Hi Edwin. Fascinating. He sounds like an amazing man – well worth hero status. Was he an academic? What were his research interests (did Physical Anthropology at Uni many years ago and am a complete sucker for archaelogy texts). Given the mobility of my family in the last generation or two, it always amazes me how little my historical family got around. I got very excited a couple of weeks ago when I found a marriage in Dunfermline and a birth in Dalgety Bay. It’s the farthest south any of my ancestors seemed to have come from. Great to hear from you!

    • Oops! Just read his obituary, and you’ve answered my questions above! He really does sound like someone it would be brilliant to know. My lot are mainly coal miners, carters and labourers – from Perthshire as far back as I’ve traced. Mobility seems to be a case of one person moving for work and settling in an area for several generations before someone else moves for work. The exception seems to be Stewart father (also Stewart), who managed addressed in Perthshire, Angus, Fife, New York and Fife again. In fact, I have wondered if they were into the “midnight flit” given that every child born had a different address on their birth record.

  8. Pingback: Treasures from the past | Shaking the tree

  9. Pingback: Street life: family through the eyes of a stranger | Shaking the tree

  10. Great Work Su
    I am also very interested in “uncle Stewart’s” story and that of The Shera.
    I was briefly in touch by email with Charlie Harris one of the 3 survivors, a few years back. Charlie told me he new Stewart as another member of the crew.
    Charlie’s grandson was assisting him to find the other survivors, unsuccessfully if I remember correctly. I’m unsure if Charlie is still alive or not. I’ll. go back and try to find the original email address that Charlie and I were using, It was his grandsons.
    Alexander (Sandy )Cruden

    • Hi.
      Lovely to hear from you. There is a Charlie Harris who is alive and involved with the Royal Naval Patrol Service group in Lowestoft. I got an email from one of his grandsons who said that his grandfather hadn’t served on the Shera and must be a different Charlie Harris. It would be wonderful if you had an email address. From memory, Charlie Harris was the youngest of the survivors. I keep hoping that more records will become available as time goes by, and the likelihood of finding people to talk to diminishes. Cheers, Su.

  11. Hi Su,
    Interesting story and fantastic research!
    My grandad, Gordon Ross, served on the Shera. I still have his cookbook in which he has written his name and HMS SHERA, FALMOUTH. Not had a look for his service record but I assume he was transferred away from it at some point before it went on its final journey.
    I have wondered if he ever knew Stewart and if they had something in common as he lived just along the coast in Lower Largo, Fife. Given some of the recipes in the cookbook though, I’m not sure how popular the ship’s cook would be!

    • Hi Iain. Thanks so much. It was a pretty small ship, so Stewart and your grandad served at the same time, they’d have known each other. I haven’t been able to find out exactly how many men were aboard. The enquiry report doesn’t name the casualties; I got that information from the RNPS memorial in Lowestoft. I only know that there were three survivors. I did hear that one of them was still alive a couple of years ago, but all my efforts to get in touch with him were in vain. I’m glad your grandad wasn’t aboard on that voyage. It sounds horrendous from the witness testimony at the enquiry. I assume he survived the war? Thanks again for getting in touch. One of the things I love about blogging is how it connects people all over the world through shared stories and ancestors. Cheers, Su.

  12. Hi Sue.
    Good to hear back from you.
    As you may know, the Navy had many ships of this type on their books. I think the crew would be 25-30, so not too many and I suppose my grandad and Stewart must have known each other.
    It is a shame that the inquiry didn’t name the casualties, as cold as that would seem I suppose that was how it was done in those days. I have read the names of the 3 survivors in an account of the sinking somewhere. Am also glad my grandad wasn’t on that voyage as I would not be here today!
    I remember trying to contact someone else a few years ago who was looking for info on the Shera but never got a response.
    My grandad was transferred at some point and I have info on another similar ship he was on. At some point he was in hospital in Iceland being treated for chronic sinusitis.
    My mother mentioned a story that at some point in the war he survived the sinking of a ship he was on. He was eventually returned to Portsmouth (I think) and travelled all the way back to Fife by train. All he had to wear was his hat, jacket, pair of shorts and sand shoes. When he got back to the village it was late at night. My granny was asleep in the first floor flat they lived in at the time when she heard someone trying to set a ladder up against the window. Not knowing who it was but assuming the worst she opened the window and pushed the ladder away with my grandad on it!
    He did survive the war and died in 1973.
    The picture you have posted of Stewart out for a stroll with his mother and the unknown couple does look familiar. I wonder if it may be somewhere along the coast here, perhaps the Weymyss
    area. The building on the left in the background looks quite distinctive.
    As you say, it is fascinating how people can be connected around the world these days through shared stories and ancestors.

    • Hi Iain,
      Thanks for the extra information. I guess the enquiry was mainly about establishing what went wrong so they could avoid in in future. The human element didn’t seem very prominent in the report I read. Essentially, it seems they knew the ships weren’t safe but considered the risks to be “worth it.” I’m glad your grandfather was spared that horrible death. I can imagine your granny’s shock at finding a “prowler” and her reaction. Your grandad sounds like he used up a few of his “nine lives” surviving all that.
      Thanks for your thoughts about the photo too. My mum thought it might have been St Andrews, and I keep meaning to do a Google streetview search just in case the buildings are still more or less there. Talk about needle in a haystack. The Wemyss area would make sense as the family had lived in Wemyss in the early 1900s and Stewart’s older brother (my great grandad Alec Cruden) married into a family that had lived in the Wemyss area for a few generations.

  13. Hello I left a note my father was lost on the Shera the crew all knew the ship was not sea worthy! my father came home on leave told his family and friends about this ship, but he was under promise that he would return! which he did! all my life I have been 8under the beliefs that the ship went down in heavy seas! looking up the reports it tell of his mom and dad and his wife but nothing about he two sons under the age of two years old!! it looks to me like a big cover up someone has not done the maths for the required trip! thank you david mcginn

    • Hi David. Lovely to hear from you. I’d also spent years believing that the weather had been the main cause of the sinking. It was a horrible feeling to read the actual, physical report at the National Archives and discover that not only was the ship not seaworthy and that everyone knew it, but that the authorities decided that sending it out was “justifiable in wartime.” Those words are so callous and chilling. I don’t think anyone was ever held accountable for the disaster, and the men of the convoys — and the families who had to live without husbands and fathers — were largely forgotten for a long time. I remember seeing the memorial record of your dad; he was very young. And you’re right of course, it doesn’t mention you and your brother. Thank you for adding to this story. I’m thinking of re-writing the post to include all the new information people have shared with me, so thanks again. Cheers, Su.

  14. can I tell you something I was a lad at school about 7 years old as I turned the corner one day a crowed of school kids were all gathered around this man, the kids all pointing at me! he said son I have made it my point to seek you out! I was on the boat that picked your father out the water he did not drown! but he died of neglect ie let die! so I think he was one of the five that was picked up! you know I was under a year old my brother was 11 months older my mother was 20years of age! we were the sons of a hero yet we were in a home being beating by staff for not eating eggs my brother hated them! I need answers where do I get them from? what I know now I will act on! all them years and just because a officer could not be bothered to do the maths that is required for these trips! my father told us all about this ship! my grand father was torpedoed 28 December 1941 my father was home on compassionate leave. my other grandfather was lost over board so they took all male relatives. I feel really bitter! sorry but I do! thanks david mcginn

  15. Hi David. I don’t blame you for being bitter. The men of the Arctic convoys have been treated quite badly I think. The only document that I have found at the National Archives ( is the Board of Enquiry report into the sinking. The reference number is ADM 1/12142. It’s not digitised; I had to actually go to Kew to read it.

    You could also get in touch with the Royal Naval Patrol Service Association (, or try applying to the MOD for your dad’s service record (

    Good luck with your searching. Please let me know what you find.

  16. I will try but I’m a good age now a bit slow and cant travel far. I think about his death at night it brings the shivers down my spine! I know that the calculation for ice growth on upper decks and rigging. is all analytical and quite accurate and can be easily controlled. then the fuel required and the displacement would be an easy task to anybody who knows about seamanship !!
    looks like its dumplings that were on general staff
    thank you bro David Martin McGinn

    • From memory David, it was the addition of a gun that fundamentally altered the weight distribution and caused the instability that everyone knew about. I do feel for you, knowing that your dad’s life was lost to incompetence and neglect. My mum feels the same way about her uncle.

  17. yes I knew that too but not type of gun and weight and the exact position it was installed!
    all the information would need to be considered before sailing!

  18. HELLO Sue I went down to Lowestoft on Sunday the 19th March, long trip by car round journey was 914 mile on Monday we went to see the memorial. lovely memorial the site is beautiful. I tried to get in touch with the RNPS guys but the museum was closed only thing was a notice closed till April! it was cold and lots of steps I have my electric scooter. just not make the steps with it! anyway I had a great week end and was in tears seeing my dads name in that corner of Britain!

    • Hi David. I am so pleased you got down to Lowestoft. My mum went a couple of years ago and described very similar feelings seeing her uncle’s name on the memorial. I was very keen to go last time I was in the UK, but just could not make time. I’ve tried a couple of times to get in touch with the RNPS people but haven’t had much luck. I will try again sometime soon. Anyway, thanks for letting me know you were able to make the trip. Cheers, Su.

  19. Su sorry I’ve not got back to you! but I keep coming to a blank end on this! if I was asked id say there something more cynical behind this. I could not find out the manner of his death if not by drowning! I would need to see the log book of the boat who rescued them.

    • Hi David
      My apologies for taking so long to respond. Life has been a bit upside down here one way or another and I’m not finding as much time to blog. Have you looked at the catalogue of the National Archives? I believe that the survivors were picked up by a small boat launched from HMS Svega. It is possible that the ship’s log is still around and held at National Archives. Cheers, Su

  20. Hallo Su and David and everyone, What wonderful and heart breaking stories. I have been doing some research on my dad, Basil Vickers which – reason being that I have got him the Arctic Star posthumously, also I’ve written a few pages about him and am going to make a wee book out of it. In February next year I am going to present the medal and the book to his granddaughter (4 of them who never knew him), and his three great grandchildren (one of whom is only 4 months old).
    Su, until I came across your website, I didn’t know about the Sula and the Sheera sinking due to being top-heavy, not with ice, but because of top-heavy structure. In Basil’s papers, there are a couple of references to the enquiry which I think took place in North Russia? Basil was present because he had trialled about seventy boats out of UK ports. He sailed to North Russia several times to continue trialling them in the Baltic and also he went to Moscow on the Lend Lease programme.
    I don’t know what these trials Involved – 2 days at sea? – or what part Basil had in the decision making of sending these boats to sea. On reading his diaries (they’re little pockets ones, with a two liner entry for each day) it seems these young men (because they were mostly all men) came from all over the country, in Basil’s case from an electrical engineer’s job in Manchester. To my knowledge (I don’t know much about his early life) he’d never been to sea. It took me ages to find the names of the ships he sailed on – I get a picture of thousands of men being sent on these convoys, crew lists mostly unrecorded, as in the case of Sula and Sheera. It’s a heartbreaking scenario. They must have lived with fear, what with the crippling cold, the threat of U boats and being bombed from the air. Basil saw the remnants of PQ17 limp in – he mentioned it now and then, looking grim and sad. He played ‘uncle’ to the survivors.
    The war I believe marked Basil for his life, there was always a deep sadness in him, although he was another special man – as Cameron Cruden looks to be (charisma shines out of the photo!) When Basil was demobbed he worked for Scottish electricity in Glasgow and just before his death aged 65, he was awarded the MBE for services to Scotland.

    • I have his others he was in the merchant navy this was his first trip in the royal navy we lived next door to the recruiting office so he came home from a bad trip and enlisted in the royal navy! the rest you know

    • That’s wonderful David; I’m so pleased. Thank you for letting me know, and for requesting the medal. It is a reminder to those in charge that your father and my gg uncle, and the other men of the Convoys, must not be forgotten. Cheers, Su

  21. My grandfather, Leading Seaman Carl Edgar Olsen LT/JX 228160, went down with the Shera. My mother, his daughter, was 10 years old at that time; his two sons, Carl and Edgar, were 7 and 5 years old. He was a fisherman from Hull, England before the war. My mother has few but precious memories of him, he lived as he died… at sea. Rest in peace, Grandad xx

    • Hi Annette. Thank you so much for sharing this. I have read your grandfather’s name on the Shera Crew list, and it is lovely to have a little knowledge of the man. I have read the official report, and there is just no sense that human lives were so senselessly lost. Does your mother have her father’s medal — the Arctic Star? It was cast for the men of the convoys, and family members can request their relative’s from the MOD. Apologies if you already know this. Cheers, Su

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s